Melitzanosalata (Grilled Eggplant Dip)
You might have noticed that I’ve been posting a lot of healthy recipes lately. I’ve been obsessed with eating healthier since a number of my friends and family members have been diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus II. There are ~285 million people who have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes – which is a preventable condition. And I know, cooking at home might have helped a few folks. And having healthy (and delicious!) recipes might have helped, too.
And this is where my Melitzanosalata recipe comes into play. After visiting a family member in the hospital (she had heart surgery), my father, aunt, and I stopped in to get a quick pre-dinner snack at Mamagyro. There I had the most delicious grilled eggplant dip. It was so phenomenal, I snapped a photo of the lid:
And I thought about the right measurements of ingredients to recreate it for days. I mean, let’s be honest, how often do you think of a healthy dish for days? I was obsessed!
I tried to find comparable recipes online, but apparently every recipe is different, and that’s when when I realized I had to use my instincts. I think you’ll agree it is delicious because even if I stumble over the verbal pronunciation of this dish (Melitz-ano-salata?!), I don’t stumble when I’m eating it. Heck, it is divine. The perfect quick lunch. A phenomenal side dish. And great addition to a healthier preventive lifestyle. I adore it.
And I want you to make this today.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- chef knife
- broiling pan
- oven or toaster oven set to broil on high
- aluminum foil
1/2 eggplant, sliced, skin-on
sprinkle of sea salt
drizzle of olive oil
1 tsp of tahini
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp of parsley, minced
1 tsp of scallions, diced
squirt of lemon
fresh black pepper (optional)
- Move oven rack to 3 – 5 inches away from broiling element and set oven to broil on high.
- Slice eggplant (keeping skin intact), scoring the top with a knife.
- Sprinkle sea salt on sliced eggplant and drizzle with olive oil.
- Arrange eggplant on a broiler pan lined with aluminum foil and place into oven to broil on high (five minutes per side – check often).
- While eggplant is broiling, place 1 tsp of tahini, 1 clove of minced garlic, and 1 tsp of minced parsley, and 1 tsp of diced scallion into a bowl.
- Once eggplant is cooked (it will be browned and soft) add it to the bowl.
- Squirt lemon juice into the bowl (once), and mix ingredients with a hand mixer.
- Garnish with scallions or parsley or black pepper and eat with toasted pita, flatbread or carrot sticks.
Photo Credit: My Handy Dandy iPhone