Lentils with Olives
When you steal something, like I stole Laura Caulder’s Halibut with Brown Butter, you should attempt to make certain aspects of the recipe your own. This is what I did with her Chick Pea recipe: I made it into a lentil recipe. Mostly because I didn’t have any chick peas on hand. Out of a poorly-stocked kitchen, brilliance is born.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 small pot
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 skillet or non-stick pan
1/2 cup green lentils
1/2 medium onion
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 pinch salt and pepper
1/4 cup green olives, pitted and sliced
1 tbsp chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
Squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp of lemon zest
- Put 1/2 cup of green lentils into a pot and cover with water.
- Add a bay leaf to lentils, and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once lentils are boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook covered (about 30 minutes).
- After lentils have been cooking for about 20 minutes, heat a pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add lentils to onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of sliced olives, 1 tbsp of chopped parsley and squeeze in the juice of one lemon and cook for 1 minute.
- Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper mix and remove from heat.
- Serve with Halibut with Brown Butter and Broiled Cumin Carrots.
TIP: Start this dish before you cook the halibut and carrots. If you time it just right, you will have a complete meal in just over 30 minutes.
Photo Credit: Sean