Spinach Citrus and Panko Salad
Early last spring, when Sean was finishing his doctoral thesis, I went to Rochester to take care of him. Naturally, we were both quite busy (since finishing a thesis is a bear!), and I didn’t have a lot of time to prepare meals. But a lack of time, didn’t mean that we didn’t eat delicious things! This salad for instance, included an orange, it’s juice and about a tablespoon of panko (those delicious Japanese breadcrumbs). It took maybe five minutes to put together. I’m certain this is one you can pull off, even if you don’t have a thesis to finish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: About 5 minutes (or more if you take a long time to cut the orange or find the panko in your cupboard )
- 1 chef knife
- 1 paring knife
- 1 tiny mixing bowl (for the dressing)
- 1 spoon or small whisk (for the dressing)
2 handfuls of cleaned baby spinach
1 large orange (or whatever orange like citrus fruit you have on hand), chopped in half
1 tbsp of panko
The juice of ½ orange
1 tsp of red wine vinegar
1 tsp of olive oil
1 pinch of salt and pepper
- Place cleaned baby spinach in a bowl.
- Carefully cut the peel off of ½ orange with a small paring knife, and thinly slice.
- Lay the orange slices over the spinach and sprinkle with panko.
- In a small bowl mix the juice of ½ orange, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper until it is well blended.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad, and eat it your five minute salad.
Serves 1 – 2 people.
Photo Credit: Sean