Beet & Orange Salad
Look, I truly have a thing for beets. Especially during the holidays. My love has been documented, over the years. They are my go to root vegetable when I want to wow a crowd. And I always feel so good about myself when I eat them. And with this salad, frankly something wonderful happens. When you pair beets with citrus the earthy sweetness of the beets mingle so perfectly with the fresh zest of the oranges. This might just become the salad you use to wow a crowd. Or just yourself.
- Prep Time: 5 – 10 minutes (add an hour if you have to cook the beet)
- Total Time: About 10 minutes (plus an hour, again for the beet)
- 1 chef knife
- 1 paring knife
- 1 platter
- 1 tiny mixing bowl (for the dressing)
- 1 spoon or small whisk (for the dressing)
1 handful of cleaned baby spinach
1 handful of cleaned arugula leaves
1 large orange (I used juice oranges, but Naval or Blood Oranges are also fine)
1 cooked beet, skin removed and thinly sliced
1 quarter red onion, sliced into thin rings
1tsp of red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
1 tsp of olive oil
a pinch of dried mustard
1 pinch of salt and pepper
- Lay a handful of cleaned baby spinach and a handful of cleaned arugula leaves on a platter.
- Carefully cut the orange peels off with a small paring knife, and thinly slice the oranges.
- Artfully lay the orange slices, beet slices and red onion rings over the spinach and arugula.
- In a small bowl mix the vinegar, olive oil, dried mustard and salt and pepper until it is well blended.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad, and eat it or serve it to your dazzled guests.
Serves 1 hungry person and up to 4 if used as a side dish.
Photo Credit: Sean